Please see notice below from the Washington Department of Natural Resources announcing a job opening.
This is a Full-time, Permanent, Represented position.
Location: Natural Resources Building, Olympia
CLOSING DATE EXTENDED! The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. It is in the applicant’s best interest to submit material as soon as possible.
Want to join something GREAT and make a difference?
Work for Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to promote a diverse array of outdoor recreation opportunities. From mountain bike trails to campgrounds to parasailing, Washington’s public lands offer incredible opportunities – and we want you to help us get the word out.
Under the leadership of Commissioner Franz, the agency is working to expand access to recreation across Washington’s public lands.
The successful candidate will be motivated, creative, and hardworking, with a successful track record of communicating complex issues using a variety of mediums and tools.
The communications team is currently working under a hybrid model, with two days in the office weekly.
As a media liaison, you will identify positive media opportunities, pitch stories, write news releases, develop talking points, coordinate media interviews, and serve as an agency spokesperson when needed. You must be hungry to tell our story and get people excited about our recreation opportunities and the value of public lands and waters.
You will provide strategic guidance to agency leadership, recreation staff, stakeholders, and partners to help DNR engage the public. Expect to help build, manage, and staff outreach events and develop website and social media content.
At DNR, you will join a tight-knit team of skilled communicators who work on topics that are incredibly rewarding. You will work in close proximity to a statewide elected official and will have the opportunity to travel and experience our incredible communities.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, public relations or related field of study, or a combination of education and/or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of progressively responsible communications experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to make complex information understandable to the general public using plain language.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships, even in times of high pressure and conflict.
- Experience writing and editing for organizations, including developing copy and editing copy for news releases, factsheets, social media, web, and special publications such as reports and white papers.
- Fluency in the digital space, including using social media tools and content management systems.
- Experience interpreting and analyzing public information, policy, and issues.
- Familiarity with photography and video filming.
- Ability to think innovatively and creatively, and change course if necessary.
- The incumbent in this position is required to travel.
- This position may be asked to work nonstandard hours for special projects or trips.
- A valid driver’s license and have two years of driving experience. This position requires driving as an essential function. Finalists and/or interview candidates will be asked to provide a driving record from all states in which they have held a license during the past three years.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
All employees of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Vaccination status will be verified at the time an offer of employment is made. An accommodation may be available for individuals who have a sincerely held religious belief or a medical reason for not receiving the COVID-19 vaccination, based on the essential functions of this position.
Our ideal candidate will also have the qualifications listed below:
- Experience working for an elected official.
- Experience working in media relations.
- Experience working in natural resources, parks, recreation, or similar field.