Thanks to funding from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife OHV Grant program, COHVCO will be holding two chainsaw trainings and an OHV workshop to educate and benefit the State’s off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts, land managers, and other OHV stakeholders. These trainings will be focused on the vision and goals for OHV recreation in the future. All trainings are dependent on COVID-19 related regulations and meeting size requirements.
COHVCO, NOHVCC, and the Forest Service are working to put together a chainsaw training for those that conduct trail maintenance and clearing on public land. This training will provide the necessary certification for individuals to conduct bucking and limbing operations on Forest Service managed lands. Falling operations will not be covered. Participation is limited and participants must request a password to register for the events.
The following is required for the chainsaw training classes:
- Chainsaw with fully operational chain break, spark arrester, and catch pin
- Current First Aid and CPR certification
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which includes: USFS approved chainsaw chaps, long sleeve shirt, long pants 8” tall boots, safety glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, and gloves.
- Trainings are tentatively scheduled for the Clear Creek RD on September 25 & 26 and the Gunnison RD on September 28 & 29. To RSVP and request the registration password please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
The 3-day training will occur October 1-3, with a welcome reception on the evsening of October 1, classroom sessions on October 2, and a field session on October 3. The welcome reception and classroom sessions will be held at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites located at 1391 S Townsend Ave, Montrose, CO. Field session will be held in the Montrose vicinity. Field sessions will involve riding an OHV to various sites on the trail system so bring your helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, over the ankle boots, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts. Anyone not wearing appropriate safety gear will not be allowed to participate. Bring snacks, plenty of water, and weather appropriate clothing and gear.
Cost: $90 (Limited scholarships available, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for discount code)
When: October 1-3, 2020
Where: Holiday Inn Express & Suites
1391 S Townsend Ave
Montrose, CO 81401
- Due to ongoing COVID restrictions we ask that all participants register as early as possible so that we may adequately plan for meeting space and meals. To register please contact email@example.com.
- Due to numerous events in Montrose on the same weekend we were not able to secure a large room block. Participants must locate their own lodging in the Montrose area. There are still plenty of rooms available just not in a big group. Those traveling on scholarship can coordinate their room payments with firstname.lastname@example.org.