NOHVCC Management Solutions
The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) would like to introduce you to its consulting arm, NOHVCC Management Solutions. Since we love acronyms, we call it NMS.
NMS is designed to work in cooperation and partnership with land management agencies, land owners, and OHV enthusiasts to improve management of OHV recreation on federal, state, county, city and private lands by providing expertise in a variety of areas that will result in higher quality recreational experiences for OHV riders and improved resource protection. NMS was developed in a partnership between NOHVCC, the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC), the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA).
NMS' primary role in the partnerships will be advisory and should not be seen by our partners as a source of funding for OHV management. Instead, NMS is a partner in finding specific solutions: the right expertise, guidance, and resources to solve challenges related to OHV management. Funding and human resources for implementation of recommendations will be addressed by NMS working with the partners to form alliances with clubs, associations, and volunteer organizations; develop grant requests; improve the competitive standing of the projects in the agency budget processes; and other grant and funding opportunities.
NMS was create in 2011 when we began working on several pilot projects with the BLM units in Colorado, Montana, and Arizona. Since then, NMS has expanded to other federal agencies,state agencies, cities, counties, and other partners.
Some of the types of assistance offered by NMS include:
- Guidance through the RMP and/or travel management process
- Evaluation of areas, routes, and other natural and cultural resources influenced by the route to determine suitability of the routes for inclusion in a motorized route system
- Route Inventory and GIS guidance
- Training for agency staff on OHV management principles and practices
- Sign Plans and signing techniques
- Educational and outreach techniques
- Effective mapping techniques and design
- Trail layout, design, construction
- Expertise on mitigating impacts on wildlife
- Expertise on mitigating impacts on cultural resources
- Volunteer development, coordination, and management
- Establishing and improving relationships with organized and informal OHV organizations
- OHV safety and training consulting, area design, courses offered, added information
- Master plan creation
- Flexibility for all types of projects or programs
NOHVCC Management Solutions, like NOHVCC, is a 501c3 non-profit. It has working agreements with the US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. As a non-profit, NOHVCC can work with the agencies to get trails on the ground faster and more economically than would be possible if the agencies needed to use their own staff or go through a procurement process.
It is not the goal of NMS to replace other contractors or consultants. In fact, NMS has partnerships with many OHV consulting experts and works with these experts for most of our projects. NMS can, however, help match the correct consultants up with the agencies for specific projects. This saves time and money for both the agencies and the consultants.
NMS is designed to work closely with the OHV enthusiasts in any area where they are available. The goal is to have great working partnerships between the agencies and the stakeholders to create buy-in and move projects forward. We believe these partnerships will assist with the current project and will help with future projects.