American Trails and National Trails Training Partnership (NTTP)
American Trails is the only national, nonprofit organization working on behalf of all trail interests including hiking, bicycling, mountain biking, horseback riding, water trails, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, trail motorcycling, ATVs, snowmobiling and four-wheeling. American Trails members want to create and protect America's network of interconnected trails. They support local, regional, and long-distance trails and greenways, whether they are in backcountry, rural or urban areas. Their goal is to support America's trails by finding common ground and promoting cooperation among all trail interests. They're involved in everything from training trails advocates to increasing accessible trail opportunities for persons with disabilities.
Their work includes:
- Coordinating the National Trails Symposium every two years: 2010 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Hosting the National Trails Awards program.
- Revitalizing the National Recreation Trails program with the National Park Service, USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service, and other agencies and national organizations.
- Producing American Trails Magazine, the premier news publication for all trail advocates and managers.
- Providing technical assistance and resources for trails and greenways.
- Working with agencies and trail organizations to develop the National Trails Training Partnership.
- Maintaining a clearinghouse of trails training resources and an online calendar of training opportunities.
- Providing Universal Trail Assessment Process training and other trail skills workshops.
- Informing the trails community on agency guidelines, legal issues, and ways to improve the accessibility of trails.
- Sharing information and providing assistance to America's State Trails Programs.
- Bringing news of opportunities, jobs, and grant programs to trails activists.
- Supporting funding for trails through State, Federal, and private programs.
- Participating in hearings and task forces on federal land management issues.
- Interpreting Congressional action and legislation for local trail supporters.
- Fostering cooperation and communication among all trail users.
- Linking to other trail site including sites which provide trail maps, trail information, and other useful information.
The National Trails Training Partnership
NTTP is an alliance of Federal Agencies, training providers, nation-wide supporters, professional contractors, and providers of products and services. Their goals is to help you with any type of training as it pertains to trails, as possible. Their webpages contain a wealth of information.
Their pages include:
- A calendar of training opportunities
- Information regarding workshops
- State by State resource indexes
- Trail topics
- What's Hot